Trying to find the perfect fit for your loved one when choosing an assisted living facility can be stressful. You want to pick the right one so that they can be happy and stay healthy, but how do you know what the right one is? That’s why Choice Health Management is here to give you some ideas of what to look for when touring an assisted living facility.
- Friendliness – The attitude and friendliness of the staff is the most important. Be sure to watch how they treat the residents. Do they listen and make eye contact? Do they really seem to want to help out and interact with the residents?
- Safety and Security – Finding out all of the procedures will give your peace of mind about your loved one. Ask how residents contact staff if they have an emergency. Make sure that the staffing hours are consistent so that there will always be someone near or around your loved one. Make sure that all rooms, especially the bathrooms, are accessible and have safety measures installed such as grab bars and shower seats.
- Food – Eat a meal at the facility to test its quality. It’s important to discuss food choices, dining hours, and procedures. Make sure to talk to other residents to see how they feel about the food and what would happen if they didn’t make it to the dining center on time.
- Activities – Try to schedule your tour during a time where an event or activity will be taking place. Do the activities look like something your loved one would enjoy? You can also look at their calendar of events to see what types of activities they offer. Are there trips and outings away from the community? Do the activities range in type and size?
- Outdoor Area – Take a walk outside to see what the outdoor areas look like. Do they have safe walking paths and security? Look at the scenery and types of wildlife that may be hanging around to know what your loved one will get to see.
- Ask Questions about Personal Care – Discuss bathing options and preferences. It’s important to observe other residents to see if they are clean shaven and look taken care of. Look at how the staff cares for them and if they look happy. You can even talk to the residents to ask them how they feel about the care they are receiving.
- Get Feedback from Families and Residents – Ask questions and lots of them. As mentioned above, continue to ask residents how they feel in the place. You can also go up to family members and ask them why they chose this facility and what they like about it. There are also reviews online that you could look into.
In the end, you just have to trust yourself and know that you are making a good decision when choosing a facility. If you have questions about our assisted living services, please don’t hesitate to contact us and schedule a visit soon! At Choice Health Management, we want to help your loved one maintain a higher quality of life while providing any medical care they need.